Electronic Prescription Service
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service.
What does this mean for you?
- If you collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP you will not have to visit your GP practice to
pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the place you
choose, saving you time.
- You will have more choice about where to get your medicines from because they can be
collected from a pharmacy near to where you live, work or shop.
- You may not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be time for your repeat
prescriptions to be ready before you arrive.
Is this service right for you?
Yes, if you have a stable condition and you:
- don’t want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription.
- collect your medicines from the same place most of the time or use a prescription collection
How can you use EPS?
You need to choose a place for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. This is
called nomination. You can choose:
- a pharmacy.
- a dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one).
- your dispensing GP practice (if you are eligible).
Ask any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS or your GP practice to add
your nomination for you. You don’t need a computer to do this.
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. If you don’t want your prescription to be sent electronically tell your GP. If you want to
change or cancel your nomination speak to any pharmacist or dispensing appliance contractor that
offers EPS, or your GP practice. Tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription
may be sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes. Your electronic prescription will be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies and
NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now.
Sometimes dispensers may see that you have nominated another dispenser. For example, if you
forget who you have nominated and ask them to check or, if you have nominated more than one
For more information about EPS visit www.cfh.nhs.uk/eps, your pharmacy or GP practice.